Ritenour alumni, hero Cory Remsburg visits with student journalists

Ashley Meyer, Spotlight Editor

Class of 2001 Ritenour Alumni and Army Ranger Cory Remsburg has returned to Ritenour to lead the homecoming parade.

Sgt. First Class Cory Remsburg has become the face of U.S Wounded Warriors. Remsburg suffered a traumatic brain injury in 2009 as a result of a roadside bomb in Afghanistan, and spent three months in a coma after the event. Since that time, he has become a nationally known figure after being recognized by President Obama on Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014 at his State of the Union Address.

Remsburg has a strong connection with Ritenour and its community and has always called it home. Happy to be returning to Ritenour, he feels that it is an honor to be this year’s Grand Marshall in the Homecoming parade on Oct. 11. He also feels that he learned all of his core values while attending Ritenour and continues to apply them to his life daily.

Reminiscing on his memories at Ritenour, Remsburg associates his favorite memories with all of the “shenanigans” that took place during his stay here and also has fond memories of band director Hadley Haux.

Freshman Principal Chris Issacs was another one of Remsburg’s teachers at Ritenour and recalls him being a curious and mischievous student.

“Cory was a very energetic and playful young man. I had him as a freshman, junior, and a senior; while he matured through those years, he still kept that playfulness,” Issacs said.

Since attending the State of The Union Address earlier this year, Remsburg’s life has changed drastically. He has appeared in commercials representing U.S. Wounded Warriors, gotten far more interviews, and has more people recognizing him than before.

“Basically, I am trying to help those that will follow me by paving the way for people in the future with TMI’s (traumatic brain injuries),” Remsburg said.