Gateway2Change returns to Ritenour

October 30, 2015

Gateway2Change+October+27+

Isabella Stone

Gateway2Change October 27

Over thirty schools gathered today at Ritenour High in order to continue the conversations started over a year ago today on race in the St. Louis region.

“Thirty plus schools as close as Ritenour High and as far as Sedalia High come here today to make a change” says spokesman Jennifer Taylor.

Host and frontman to the organization, Drew Schwartz began the day by introducing each school with motivational speaker and icon, Koran Bolden.

Ladue media teacher, Don Goble gave some insight on the importance of documenting your own message and story.

“The only way to change things is to tell your story, do not have others tell your story for you” says Golble.

The first part of the morning included the activity ‘Circle of Self Reflection’. This allowed for students to fully come to terms and share with others who they truly are, what others may view them as, and what’s most important to them.

“People often try to define us, but we are the only ones who can truly do that.” says founder, Drew Schwartz.

KRHS Media

Jennings highschool junior, Trevor Gillespie says “I am friendly, people think I’m weird because I’m different. I’m friendly in a different way and some people are quick to judge.”

Dr. Bille Mayo gave an introduction to the idea of Race and Emotions, ‘Your locker door affirmation’.

“The only way I can understand my existence is if I acknowledge your existence.” says Mayo. “Your mission is to create social change with service.”

She led the students in a meditation like state of mind, calling it ‘a room of safe closure’. Students closed their eyes as she led them to imagine only the people who supported them and loved them. “Share with them what’s on your heart and mind. Know that there is no judgement. We were never meant to be separated. Humans were supposed to be gentle, kind and loving.” says Mayo.

Concluding Dr. Mayo’s presentation, students welcomed via Skype, Dr. Megan and Bob Moran. The couple joined the four hundred students in the discussion of discussion. How we talk to people, often dictates which direction the conversation will go.

“If we come back to the beginning and focus on what upset us in the beginning of the conversation, we can add empathy and not focus on what that person is saying is wrong.” says Megan Moran.

Senior at Ritenour High, Darryl Burkes has been involved with the program since Ritenour announced their involvement.

“Gateway to change is a movement that is bringing all kinds of schools from all kinds of areas together to fix the injustice in our school and communities. This is going to help us in the long run because we are learning to come together as one and not be divided by race, gender, social class, sexual orientation. My advisors are visionaries. They have given me insight and background, they’ve helped shape my mindset into a more intellectual state. Everything is going to start with youth. It is truly left up to us to change the world. We are noticing things and we are acting upon things. I don’t want to have to grow up, worried that myself or my children will be judged, ridiculed or left out because they are who they are,” says Burkes.

“The energy in the room is just unbelievable,” says senior and KRHS director Will Rivers.

“Everyone is so excited to be here and be apart of something so big. People are ready to be heard.”

Concluding the day, students were split into groups and had the opportunity to present their projects for the year. Marquette and Jennings high school plan to walk in each others shoes by shadowing the oth

er school for the day. Ritenour, University City and Fox high school plan to create a community garden, available to all the people. The next summit is January 27, 2016.