Making the choice

Student athletes talk about deciding between select teams and high school sports

Senior+Donshel+Beck+competes+against+McCluer+High+School+in+a+contest+last+year.++Beck+plays+for+both+the+high+school+and+a+select+team.++

Emily Waters

Senior Donshel Beck competes against McCluer High School in a contest last year. Beck plays for both the high school and a select team.

Aeriel Morrow, Spotlight Editor

Aside from the hard work and sweat that is put forth by Ritenour athletes during in-season games and practices, some of these athletes continue their participation by playing on select teams.

This can be a positive experience, allowing students to grow in their sports, but some sports go as far as to say that students are not allowed to play high school sports if they play on that select team.

For some Ritenour athletes, this has meant making a choice about whether to play for their select team, or their team at Ritenour.

Select teams are organizations that pick players who they believe to be exceptional, in order to form area all-star teams.

After compiling these teams, the organization then travels to many different states and sometimes countries to compete in tournaments and games. The organization also lets players partake in a showcase which gives them the chance to show their skills to colleges and professional teams.

One of the Ritenour athletes who has had to make a choice about which team to play for is junior Jesse Messerly. The soccer player played for Ritenour his freshman season, but his select team now plays year-round, and by playing with them, he is not allowed to play for Ritenour.

Although it was a difficult decision, Messerly chose to play for his select team as a matter of scholarship opportunities and career building.

“When my team participates in showcases, there are a lot of college coaches and people from scholarship foundations. It’s a privilege to be a part of it, and is hard to turn away from, although I do miss the teamwork of a high school team,” Messerly said.

Some students can play for both teams, but it can cause difficulty with coaching styles and practices.

“I think it is a good thing. The athletes play all year and are more experienced. The more an athlete plays and has a good coach, the better they become,” softball coach Denise Harper said. “I also I think it’s better to have more than one coach because you learn variety of things instead of things from just one coach. Plus, in college you have more than one coach.”

Ritenour basketball player Donshel Beck appreciates the extra coaching, but thinks that playing for two coaches with different styles has caused problems.

“Sometimes my players ask me to slow down during my high school team’s practices, then on my select team I am too slow. It can be really hard not to get caught up in a certain momentum or strategy all the time,” Donshel Beck said.

Although Beck sometimes gets caught between playing in the two different styles, she appreciates the opportunity to continue playing after the Ritenour season ends.

“I think that even if I didn’t play basketball and tried something else, it’s all about doing the best you can do to better and improve yourself in whatever it is that you love,” Beck said.