Moving up in the world

Drama teacher Patricia Ulrich leaves the Ritenour family to become a principal

Ty Taylor

Drama teacher Patricia Ulrich watches the rehersal of a student play during her drama class.

Saydee Esparza, Staff Writer

Ritenour’s Performing Arts teacher Patricia Ulrich’s biggest dream was to be an administrator at a Performing Arts high school, and now she is finally getting the opportunity to pursue that dream.

“The school I am going to is a musical and performing arts school which is a perfect fit for me. I have been working for the last couple of years on moving into a leadership position,” Ulrich said.

For many years, Ulrich has been working to obtain a leadership position at a school, but she had her mind stuck on one specific role.

“I have been thinking about this for about four years, and I have been seriously pursuing a principal position for the last two years,” Ulrich said.

Ulrich chose to make the move from classroom teacher to principal because of the impact she can have in the new role.

“I entered the field of education because I wanted to make a positive impact on the lives of kids. I feel like moving on to a leadership position. I look forward to the opportunity to be a leader in a school that values the arts,” Ulrich said.

Her drive and motivation to become a principal has resulted in her obtaining a job that will allow her to reach her goals.

“It’s my desire to give in the field of education to increase opportunities for kids,” said Ulrich.

With Ulrich leaving Ritenour for her new job, she is going to be missed by her students.

Senior Amethyst Gordik is one student that really will miss Ulrich.

“She’s becoming a principal at a new high school. It was her dream and her first opportunity, I’m just going to miss having her in general, because she is an inspiration to me; she was the best teacher here. She was the best at directing the plays also,” Gordick said.

Senior Rebecca Smith will also miss the drama teacher.

“I will miss working on the plays with her; she was the best with everything that she did. There was never a dull moment with her,” Smith said. “I just remember my freshman year with her, and the plays she put on were just fantastic. I just hope she does this well at this new school as she did here.”

Ulrich is going to miss things here at Ritenour as well.

“The kids, no questions about that! The students are the reason why I love my job here at Ritenour,” Ulrich said.

Ulrich will be leaving at the end of this semester.

“I can make an impact on more kid’s lives by leading the way to improve education for them,” Ulrich said.