Cans to show Ritenour Cares

Huskies collect canned food to help feed the community

Take a look at what Ritenour teachers have agreed to do based off the canned food drive results. Sutdents will see these teachers at the 2014 winter assembly on Friday, Decmber 10.

Chiyierrja Grant, Staff Writer

Ritenour’s annual canned food drive came to an end last month, but Husky students are still asking why it was important, how it feels to donate, and what the canned food drive was really all about.

Families who do need help may not be sure to where or to whom to go to for help, and the canned food drive was one way to reach out to them.

“There are families that need help but are afraid to get help,” sophmore Diamond Elliott said.

She thinks that it is important because it helps feed the families who really need it.

“I donate because I like helping,” Elliott said.

Senior Caitlyn Wait feels as if every family struggles at one point, so she feels fantastic after donating.

“I think it is important to help out the families who are struggling,” Wait said.

Senior Ravi Gaston feels great after knowing that he has helped someone.

“We are giving someone a second chance and making sure no one has to go hungry,” Gaston said.

Senior Sean Taylor believes that his donations serve an even greater purpose.

“It is a great feeling to be a part of something that saves lives,” Taylor said. “I think it is good to feed people that are less fortunate,” Taylor said.

After giving cans, senior Serenity Ghidoni felt that she had helped out people who were not able to take care of themselves.

“It is important because it helps those in need and prevents starvation, I just like helping.” Ghidoni said.

As of November 22, 2013, Ritenour High School collected 1,092 items for the canned food drive. The canned food drive for Ritenour High School is over but there are ways that students can still help.

In the St. Louis county area, the population is made up of 995,118 people and the number of people in poverty is 85,580 (www.StlFoodbank.org). Food banks, food pantries, some churches and organizations hold food drives that accept non-perishable items. One way students can help is by finding food drives in the area.

One of the many food drives in the area is The St.Louis Area Food Bank. They accept non-perishable items year round. The donation drop off times are 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Thursday and Friday and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday from 10 a.m.–1 p.m.

If students would like to do even more, they can donate their time by volunteering at a local food bank, food pantry, church, or organization.
To find out more information on volunteer opportunities in the area you can visit Voluntermatch.org.