Trying to stay above water

The Ritenour girls swim team started the first half of the season strong and hopes to finish that way as well

Junior+Kelsey+Inman+swims+the+100M+backstroke+in+a+home+meet+

Emily Waters

Junior Kelsey Inman swims the 100M backstroke in a home meet

Dornae Moore, Staff Writer

Entering winter break with a record of three wins and one loss, the Ritenour girls swimming team has made large strides to improve this year.

The swim team has built a family atmosphere this year; the fact that they practice every day after school makes each person accountable for being committed.

“This is my third year on the team. The way I got introduced was from the swim coach, Ms Rivera. She thought I would be good so I just took it from there,” junior Kelsey Inman said.

The coaches have done their part as well, they continue to try and motivate the students to never give up and try their hardest.

“At every event they tell us you can do it, don’t ever doubt yourself,” said Sarah Mason.

Mason says she enjoys being on the team, and aside from the coaching staff, one of the other swimmers has become one of her biggest inspirations.

“Sydney Grimm has been a great inspiration to me. She always wants to better herself and when I feel down she always helps me get back up,” Mason said.

Being a part of the swim team requires great responsibility and courage. Although high school swimming is a team competition, most of the events focus on individuals, and revolve around individual swimmers trying to beat their own personal records.

“I get nervous before competitions, I get ready by talking to my teammates and not really thinking about the pressure,” junior Hannah Baker said.

Swimming is considered a major part of some of the girl’s lifestyle, for others it’s just a hobby.

“I have enjoyed swimming all my life; I used to like watching the competitions on TV. Ever since then I have liked it,” said Mason.

Outside of help with swimming techniques, the team also focuses on eating healthy. This promotes swimmers being in top shape for practices and meets.

“I bring my own lunch, I usually eat a lot of carbs. It helps my performance level,” Baker said.

Unlike other winter team sports like basketball, the individual nature of swimming forces each athlete to look towards themselves every day of the season.

“I try my best and try and show up to every practice and event,” Baker said.

The swim team hopes to use their success at the end of last semester as a springboard, and with each practice and meet they continue to improve.

“I feel like my teammates and I are improving with each meet, we gain a lot of experience from competing against so many different schools,” Inman said.