Resurface your grades

With the dawn of a new semester and a new year, students need to take time to make sure their grades are in order

Students+in+Dean+Cochran%E2%80%99s+Spanish+class+work+on+book+work.+The+second+semester+is+an+ideal+time+for+students+to+start+over+and+achieve+the+success+they+desire.+

Aeriel Morrow

Students in Dean Cochran’s Spanish class work on book work. The second semester is an ideal time for students to start over and achieve the success they desire.

Aeriel Morrow, Spotlight Editor

With the start of the New Year, students can take the chance to resurface their once “sinking” grades.

With all the chaos and stress gone from finals, students get the chance to start with a clean slate and do what it takes to make the rest of the year a success and one to remember.

“Students should be able to start anew and focus more now that we only have a semester left, especially seniors and juniors. It is not too late save your grades,” Administrative Assistant Sally Raney said. “By now students should be able to recognize the necessary steps to success such as; being on time every day, doing homework, and talking to their teachers about what areas to improve in.”

Faculty members agree that student success is in their own hands and can only be partnered with teachers, but not controlled by teachers entirely.

“Some students get mad at their teachers for their grades but they should understand that their effort is 90% of their grade. You have to do your part, and I will do mine,” Science teacher Lydia Spoor said. “Once that’s clear, the rest will follow because no longer will it be okay to not to understand, or not do your homework. That is when the ‘C’ student becomes the ‘B’ student and so on.”

Some students have trouble accepting why it matters to resurface their grades and often believe that there is no coming back from a downfall.

“This is the time to be ready, even though a lot of times you feel like it is over. It never is. You have to remember you’re the one going to college; no one else is going to go for you. It is time to take responsibility,” senior Jeremy Fips said.

The term “resurface” itself can give students a fresh breath of air, or perhaps a clean sheet of snow, but students should take advantage now before the opportunity slips quickly away, as it often does.

“A lot of students also do not realize that the stronger their foundation is, the easier finals time is, and the pressure won’t be so hard on you later because you have already proved what you can do, finals should just be a test, like any other,” Spoor said. “That is the way it was meant to be. If your foundation was not strong last semester, learn to forgive yourself and start over.”

To other students, resurfacing their grades is more than just about grades, but about realizing lifelong dreams.

“Grades really do impact your future. It is all a domino effect. Better grades, better school, better job, better DJ, better money. Sometimes it looks like it doesn’t matter now, but you will see the difference later,” Fips said.