Ritenour students come back from winter break to new rules

The students react to the new school rules, and try to figure out why any changes were made

Signs like these hang around all the doors of the school.  All doors must remain locked during the day, and some of the doors have buzzers on them to alert the school when unwanted visitors go in our out.

Brittany Mixon

Signs like these hang around all the doors of the school. All doors must remain locked during the day, and some of the doors have buzzers on them to alert the school when unwanted visitors go in our out.

Saydee Esparza, Staff Writer

In order to get a fresh start to the 2014 year, Ritenour has revisited some previous rules, and implemented some new ones.

These rules apply to all grades and they deal with wearing ID badges at all times, having a 90 percent attendance rate to be able to attend dances, and having no phones or earbuds in classrooms anymore, unless the teacher directs students to use them for academic purposes.

Ritenour has also enhanced safety features, such as putting an alarm on doors leading to the outside during school hours.

The new rules were not initially met with pleasure by Ritenour students.
Freshman Kaleigh Robinson is one student who does not agree with the new rules.

“I don’t agree with all the rules, I feel like I should still keep my phone out when I work on my independent work,” Robinson said.

Senior Yancy Evans also disagrees with these rules, believing that all these new rules are negatively affecting his last year.

“I feel like it is jail. They do not have to take it so seriousky. It is my last year in high school, I shouldn’t have to be subjected to these unfair rules when I should be having fun and not worrying about unnecessary things,” Evans said.

Junior Kyannah Redfield believes that these new rules are not necessary for all students to achieve at a high level.

“I am against it [the new rules] because if I am still paying attention in class why can’t we be able to use our phones, also who wants to wear IDs all day when they know who we are,” Redfield said.

Freshman Armani Gatson, like others, disagrees and thinks that these rules apply more to younger students.

“I hate it, I feel like I am back in middle school. I have good attendance so the attendance really doesn’t matter. And the IDs are pointless, everyone knows who we are, so what is the point,” Gatson said.

Junior Rhea Lee sees the point of the rules, but does not feel that these rules target the right people.

“They can be useful, but I don’t agree with them. I feel like they don’t coincide with us If the same kids still don’t wear their IDs and still use their phones in class. The school either needs to really enforce it or just drop them all together,” Lee said.