Huskies ready to light up the night

Students share their excitement for the up coming Glow Dance

Carcea Carr, Staff Writer

The 11th annual Glow Dance will be held on March 7, 2014, from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

On January 24, 2004 the first Glow Dance was created by Ritenour High School’s student council/leadership program. It has been a part of the high school every year for the past ten years. It was originally a Sadie Hawkins dance, which was when girls asked the guys to the dance.

Now, the Glow Dance is a dance for students who follow guidelines all year. This is also a dance to help the “Make a Wish Foundation.” The Make a Wish foundation grants wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions in the United States.

At this dance, everything glows in the dark with neon bubbles. Some students and guests dress in neon colors to stand out.

” I loved the decorations; (Last year) the bubbles were amazing and creative,” sophomore Brandie Jordan said.

When first starting the Glow Dance, teachers and administrators had doubts about the dance and its scenery.

“A major concern was the lights being off, the glow bubbles hitting the floor and dressing inappropriately,” Ritenour Activities Director Jerry Nolen said.

The lights being off were a major concern because administrators would have problems monitoring inappropriate behavior. The glow bubbles were also a problem because the staff was afraid that the bubbles would destroy the floor, so they did a test and it turned out perfectly fine, the bubbles could be easily cleaned. The last concern was the students or guests taking clothes off after they got past the teachers and police, so the dance is now closely monitored.

For this year’s dance, the tickets will be $10 from February 18 until March 6. If students get them at the door they will be $12. Students will be able to purchase tickets Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at lunch. One guest is allowed per person, but no middle school students are allowed. If they are older ages, students should make sure they have a guest permit, and make sure that their guest form is signed and turned in before the dance, or they will not be able to purchase a ticket at the door.

Students must be at the dance before 8:30 p.m. or they will not be allowed to attend. After leaving the premises students may not return. If there are any inappropriate activities students will be asked to leave and parents will be notified. There are no ticket refunds, and police will be in force throughout the building. Ritenour students and guests must have picture identification.

When students enter the dance, chips and soda will be provided during the dance and top 40 songs will be played.
To be able to attend the Glow Dance, Ritenour students must have a 90% attendance rate for the eight weeks prior to the dance, as part of the new emphasis that is being placed on meeting 90% of attendance for 90% of the students at Ritenour.

Students must also be in school the day before the dance for the entire day. In addition to the attendance policies, students must have good citizenship, and no ten day suspensions (OSS or ISS) the day of the dance.

Although there are many qualifications to get into the dance, students who went last year enjoyed their time and are excited to return this year.

”It was very interesting and different, I have never experienced anything like it, I am excited for this one,” sophomore Darryl Burkes said.