NHS helps to encourage donation

National Honors Society hosts Ritenour’s annual blood drive

Senior+Austin+Rivers+donates+double+white+cells+during+Ritenours+annual+blood+drive++

Missy Griffith

Senior Austin Rivers donates double white cells during Ritenour’s annual blood drive

Sara DeClue, Staff Writer

On Oct.22 National Honor Society (NHS) hosted the blood drive in Ritenour High School’s lower lobby of the auditorium.

Prior to October 22, 82 students signed up to donate, but only 70 students were eligible to donate on the day of the event.

NHS member, junior Alyssa Johnson believes that even though 12 students were not able to donate, it was still a good turnout.

“[We] had a lot more than we expected, so it was really awesome how many people turned out,” Johnson said.

Not only did returning students donate, but there were also first time donors as well. Returning donor, senior Austin Rivers enjoys donating for a variety of reasons.

“I feel great [about donating], it’s cool to donate. It helps out and saves other lives,” Rivers said.

New NHS co-sponsor Lee Anne Vest feels that it is important to donate blood because of the lives that it saves. She believes that it is also a great community service and that if students learn to donate young, they will hopefully continue to donating throughout their lives.

“It goes to a good cause, they can really make a difference. Just a little bit of blood goes a long way,” Johnson said.