Ritenour varsity volleyball team wins districts for the first time in school history

2016-2017 varsity volleyball team.

2016-2017 varsity volleyball team.

2016-2017 varsity volleyball team.

Sidney Lee, Image Editor-In-Chief

Wednesday night the varsity volleyball team made history for Ritenour, by winning the first district championship in school history.

Freshman Makayla Hollyfield expressed how it felt to help lead her team to a championship title.

“It feels great, I feel like my team contributed a lot into helping me prepare and making me a better player,” Hollyfield said.

With a record of 18-8-1, Ritenour is going to Sectionals against Timberland, who has a record of 25-6.

Senior Taylor Russell explained the game plan needed going into the game.

“It’s not going to be an easy win, Timberland has a really good record. We can’t go in there thinking that it’s going to be an easy game. We have to work really hard, as long as we start off with a lead I think we’ll be okay,” Russell said.

Regardless of how the next game goes, the team has already cemented their names in the history of the school.

“We were the first ones to win, and nobody can take that from us. It feels amazing,” senior Morgan Coffey said.

As a senior, this is Russell’s last season to play high school volleyball. She is excited about being able to leave something behind after winning districts for the first time in the history of Ritenour.

“It’s an amazing feeling to know that I’m not just leaving. I won’t be just another face in the crowd. My name will mean something even 20 years down the road. It will be important to this school,” Russell said.