Black, orange, and school spirit all over

Madison Brand

The rytmettes march in formation around the track

Aeriel Morrow, Spotlight Editor

Black and Orange Day smeared its colors thoughout the Ritenour student body for the new school year on Saturday Aug. 24, 2013.

Huskies big and small came out from every school in the district to celebrate others and themselves with their school spirit. This year’s Black and Orange Day was held at Ritenour High School’s track, where games, prizes, food and more fun were open to the Ritenour community.

Many of the booths were formed to fund and support the multiple groups and organizations of RHS, making it more than just a school spirit day for some.

“Our booth at Black and Orange Day sells Husky punch to make money to buy new tapes and poles for the flags used during the football game half-time show,” sophomore Megan Eisenbeis said.

Black and Orange Day provided not only an opportunity for sports and other organizations to highlight themselves, but was also a fun and safe way to bond with fellow Huskies and their families.

Black and Orange Day also included a parade of athletes. All of the fall athletes marched around the track to applause from the community. A scrimmage was heldbetween Junior Varsity and Varsity softball players, and the cheerleaders hosted a friendly water balloon fight with administrators and football players.

“My favorite part of Black and Orange Day is the very family-friendly vibe. I love that it is an environment that appeals to everyone,” Assistant Principal Jennifer Nilges said.

Black and Orange Day is also, for many, a day of tradition and remembering the value of having school spirit.

“My favorite thing to wear for Black and Orange Day is to wear black and orange shirts, I like the way it blends with the crowd. It makes us look like a whole,” Activities Director Jerry Nolen said.

Since the beginning of Black and Orange day in 1998, it has been a gathering for the community to establish a sense of pride. The legacy of the Husky Nation pride has been carried on ever since.

“Black and Orange Day is always so much fun. I love the way I get to see all of my friends and eat snow cones,” junior Jasmin Woods said.