Ritenour FCCLA creates care packages for cancer patients

FCCLA wins silver at nationals

Pierre Brown, Staff Reporter

The FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America) group at Ritenour High School has been busy since school began in August.

They learned how to fundraise, created original ideas that involved helping the community, and raised awareness about trending issues. They also won first place at the state and regional leadership conference, and second place at the national conference.

They created a project called Case 4 Cancer that provided comfort boxes for Mercy Cancer Patients. The comfort boxes were small cardboard storage cases, about the size of a shoe box, packed with comfort items such as books, journals or word puzzles, adult coloring books and markers, socks, hats or scarves, inspiring notes, nail polish, lip balm and candy.

The group would later deliver 50 boxes, with an ultimate goal of 150, to Mercy Hospital’s Teen and Adult Cancer Patients. FCCLA is planning to deliver more in April.

“Our group participated in a STAR, Students Taking Action with Recognition, event Competition for FCCLA,” senior Isaiah Murrell-Thomas said.

In the first competition at regionals, their project earned them gold standing, allowing the group to go to state.

At State, the project was awarded gold again, which qualified the group to go to Nationals, held in Nashville, TN, where they earned silver.

“When we were in Nashville, we explored Broadway Street and went to the Country Music Hall of Fame,” Thomas said.

The group will continue delivering the cases in April and fundraise to get money for more acts of kindness similar to this.