Husky time added as weekly block schedules occur

On days with no early release, Ritenour will now have Husky Time with choices for students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Andrea Rojo, Staff Reporter

Since every week is now a block schedule week, there are six weeks during the year where there is no early dismissal on a Thursday, and those days have“Husky Time.”

Husky time will be used for various activities. It allows students to make up any work and not have to stay after or come in early. It also allows teachers to have assemblies without students missing class time.

There are various activities that the high school plans to do with each Husky Time, and in each Husky Time there are multiple activities scheduled.   Last time there was Husky Time, the school held an activities fair. 

“This Thursday (9/27) we will have an HBCU assembly, Renaissance packet pick up and celebration of grades, and a pre-registered ACT review. It will be academic intervention for everyone else, where students are making up tests or labs. Teachers must give passes to get of advisory,” College and Career counselor Julie Kampschroeder said.

Students received emails to be a part of some of these activities. For the other activities, teacher just let students know about them.

“I prefer Husky Time because college visits can take place and it’s different,” junior Tyrell Gilwater said.

Principal Jeff Marker said that there are more events planned in the coming Husky Time days this year.

On October 18th, we will have a testing day. We are encouraging seniors to go visit college campus. We will provide a bus for Flo Valley and MoBap. Seniors will be taking the ASVAB if they haven’t taken ACT, SAT, or the ASVAB,” Marker said.  “Juniors that are college bound can take the ASVAB too. Juniors will be encouraged to take a practice ACT. Sophomores that are college bound will be allowed to take the practice ACT as well.”

In the afternoon the school will go through a series of drills. It will begin with an Earthquake drill because it is national ShakeOut day, and then there will be a tornado and fire drill.

Sophomore Miranda Martin had concerns about everyone going in different directions, but was excited about the opportunities of today’s Husky Time

“I like the Husky Time better because it allows us to have more time to study instead of wasting time. I think that the passes might get a little confusing though,” Martin said.

Marker said that the Husky Time is a method to maximize time spent at school.

“It will get refined to get better and better. This is designed so you don’t have to miss practice or have to walk home. This is us supporting you while you are here,” Marker said.

Andrea Rojo, Staff Reporter

This is Andrea's first year as a member of the Pepper Box Staff. She joined the Pepper Box because she loves to write. She is also Co-captain of Ritenour's...