Des Lee High School Fine Arts Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

Des Lee High School Fine Arts Festival

Choir Students participating in Des Lee Festival
Back Left to Right; Max McVay, Erik Perkins, and Nathan Whinery.
Front Left to Right; Yazmine Kibble, Dianna Godoy, and Daniela Scrima.

Choir Students participating in Des Lee Festival Back Left to Right; Max McVay, Erik Perkins, and Nathan Whinery. Front Left to Right; Yazmine Kibble, Dianna Godoy, and Daniela Scrima.

Kayla Baker, Staff Reporter

On February 5, students hurried to their big performance at the Touhill Performing Arts Center at the University of Missouri – St Louis for the Des Lee High School Fine Arts Festival.  

The Des Lee High School Fine Arts Festival is a chance for talented students involved in fine arts courses to demonstrate their talents and rehearse for an entire day with other students from many different schools.  Ritenour Des Lee participants gain a wonderful experience on-stage and get the chance to play in a musical group much larger than they are used to.

“Honestly, I most enjoyed just being on stage during the performance and listening to the entire band.  The energy from rehearsal compared to the performance - there’s a big difference,” junior flautist Christina Doherty said.

After six weeks of scrupulous rehearsal with their musical directors, Hadley Haux (Band), Julianna Campbell (Orchestra), and Dr. Richard Bell (Choir), the students went to an all-day rehearsal where they practiced with fellow students for hours on end, perfecting their music for the performance at the end of the day.

The festival was operated under Des Lee Fine Arts Collaborative, who are determined to give opportunities to St. Louis high schools in favor of fine arts programs.

“We received the music for Des Lee shortly after returning for winter break, but I believe that I have been rehearsing for Des Lee since the first day I joined the band in 6th grade.  It’s a lifetime art, and I think every day I play the flute is preparing for the next performance,” senior flautist Caroline West said.

Many students who have participated in Des Lee express a great appreciation for the event and the program, and encourage other students to participate.  

“I’ve always left feeling like I gained more experience and musical knowledge from participating. Each group sounded great, and the hard work really paid off that night,” Doherty said.

Kayla Baker, Staff Reporter

This is Kayla's first semester writing with the Pepper Box. She was most interested in joining the Pepper Box staff because of her love of writing and...