Media convergence center: dedicated to the community

Emily Waters, Editor in Chief

With all of the excitement in the Ritenour community surrounding Homecoming week, some Huskies may have lost sight of the other events occurring in the Ritenour community.

On October 5, 2013 Ritenour High School’s newest addition, the Media Convergence Center, was christened with a ceremonial illumination of the KRHS 90.1 FM’s “ON-AIR” light.

Moments before the ceremony began at 11:30 AM, a crowd stood outside the closed doors of the area, waiting for the light to turn on. As the light switched on, two Ritenour High School radio students, seniors Madison Williams and Jeremy Fips, introduced the space over the intercom while the doors were opened.

After remarks from Ritenour High School Principal Dr. Anthony Robinson and Ritenour School District Superintendent Dr. Chris Kilbride, which were broadcast live on KRHS, students involved in the media convergence program gave tours of the space to those in attendance.

The area itself, designed by architectural company Kouba and Knopp, with the help of teachers Ron Steinschriber and Jane Bannester, is intended to help students transition from journalism at Ritenour High School to journalism in the real world. Currently, 289 students enrolled in the media convergence program are able to take advantage of the space.

“We are acting as a spring board for students to go either to college or career,” Kilbride said.

As the final installment of the Prop K bond issue passed by voter five years ago, Robinson feels the community deserves part of the credit.

“I’m always so grateful to be part of a community that has such generosity and commitment to students,” Robinson said. “This facility should be a point of pride and excitement for our students, for our staff, and for our community.”

Members of the Ritenour School District Board of Education attended the event, and toured the facilities with alumni and community members.

“I am proud to represent the entire Ritenour Board of Education and say thank you to our entire community for helping make these renovations and news buildings possible,” Board of Education president Gary Stein said.