Halloween Costumes

A new crop of Halloween costumes combine with old favorites to form this years hot picks

One+of+the+most+popular+costumes+is+Egyptian+goddess%2C+which+you+can+buy+at+Spirit+stores+all+over+St.+Louis.+

Ty Taylor

One of the most popular costumes is Egyptian goddess, which you can buy at Spirit stores all over St. Louis.

Ty Taylor, Business Manager

The time of year when students have to decide whether they should dress either inappropriately or classily has come upon us yet again.

Yes, the annual day when students are given a free pass to go door to door, invade their teeth with unneeded cavities, and find the time to find the most interesting costume has again become a nuisance.

According to the Spirit Halloween store website, the hottest costumes for women this year are Katness Everdeen from “The Hunger Games” trilogy, Adventure Time’s Fionna, “Nightmare Before Christmas’s” Sally, and lastly, an Egyptian goddess.
These are some of the most popular ‘appropriate’ costumes for adult women. While not exactly school suitable, they are freeing enough to have fun. The costumes mentioned are mostly movie characters, but the attraction to the fantasy world is found in adult costumes as well.

The most popular men’s costumes are “Anchorman’s” Ron Burgundy, “Batman’s” the Riddler, “Assassin Creed’s” Ezio, Carver the Clown, and the eccentric Beetlejuice.

Unlike the costumes for women, most of the male adult costumes would be considered school appropriate, but the selection is a little broader. Like the women’s collection, the favorites are of the movie industry’s characters and are relatable to the average teenager to mid-twenty range.

The appropriateness of costumes changes as students start getting older. It shows that the attitude towards Halloween changes as kids start growing up. This attitude has already started to show in some of the Ritenour students.

Freshman Nicholas Fallen has a different Halloween plan this year than he has had in the past.

“No, I am not dressing up this year” Fallen said. “I am just going to chaperone my little siblings and pass out candy.”

Fallen believes that the appropriate age to stop dressing up in Halloween costumes is right about the time students get to high school.
Sophomore Damontae Beach disagrees with Fallen, and believes that there is not really an age restriction, and that this holiday should be enjoyed by people of all ages.

“I do not think there really is an age to stop dressing up, it is a tradition that has been happening for years,” Beach said.