Hunger Games prompts reflection

Ritenour students talk about what it means to be “on fire”

Senior+Roshunda+Jackson+focuses+in+on+her+school+work%2C+which+is+what+she+believes+makes+her+a+girl+on+fire.+

Chiyierrja Grant

Senior Roshunda Jackson focuses in on her school work, which is what she believes makes her a girl on fire.

Chiyierrja Grant, Staff Writer

“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” is set to release on Nov. 22, 2013. Just like the main character, students at Ritenour believe they know what it takes to be a girl on fire.

In the “Hunger Games” series, the main character, Katniss Everdeen, is known as the “Girl on Fire” after taking her sister’s place in a deadly tournament and doing whatever it took to protect herself.

Senior Roshunda Jackson has been working hard to achieve her goals, and believes she knows what it means to be a real “girl on fire.”

“A girl on fire means that she is really good and is on her top game,” Jackson said. “The characteristics are someone who is driven and focused.”

Sophomore Lorena Toledo is another student who believes that she has been exhibiting the characteristics of a “girl on fire.” She has been trying her best to balance school, sports, and her social life.

“Being a “girl on fire” means you are trying really hard and no one can stop you. It is trying hard knowing what she wants, doing everything in her power to get what she wants,” Toledo said.

Senior Chanel Cooper has a different outlook on what it means to be considered “on fire.” Cooper has been playing basketball since she was seven years old. This year will mark her third season as a varsity basketball player at Ritenour, and fourth season overall playing for the school. She believes there are certain ideals that people must follow to be considered “on fire.”

“I think it means not to give up on your dream. I’m determined to keep playing, get further in it and win,” Cooper said. “You have to be positive, brave, committed, and determined.”

Junior Isaiah Perry is excited about the “Catching Fire” release. Perry recognized a lot of the traits in Everdeen as the reasons that the term “girl on fire” has come to be common in the American vocabulary.

“It is someone who is outgoing, hardworking, responsible, honest and cheerful. It’s someone who’s good at what they do, someone that’s like a role model and who other people can look up to,” Perry said.