Traveling far and wide

Ritenour students visit colleges and try to find the right fit for them

Students+can+go+to+the+Counseling+Office+to+find+information+on+college+visits+with+College+Counselor+Kathleen+Mead+and+College+Advisor+Colleen+Hibbler.++

Shae Matkins

Students can go to the Counseling Office to find information on college visits with College Counselor Kathleen Mead and College Advisor Colleen Hibbler.

Kenyondra Johnson, Staff Writer

Large groups of Ritenour students often gather together on campus, long before school is set to begin, and get on a bus that will take them far away from Ritenour.

Some of the bus rides are longer than others, but all of the rides have a similar destination; college.

College tours are offered through the guidance office, and the tours are led by College Advisor Jolene Hibbler, as well as College Counselor Kathleen Mead. Hibbler believes that these trips are vital to starting the college application process.

“It is important for students to take college tours because it gives them a chance to view the campus in person, talk to admissions representatives, and spark some motivation.” Hibbler said, “Even if you don’t have a clue about what school you want to go to, going on a college tour can help form some ideas.”

Mead said that college admission representatives say that “demonstrating interests” in schools can help students gain admission, and potentially get extra financial aid money. This is particularly true for private schools.

“Students don’t even have to take a full campus tour,” Senior Thomas Hannon said, “All they have to do is take one second, one step onto campus and evaluate it right there. If they get a good feeling then they know it’s the right one for them.”

Students are not limited to only take college tours with the school. They are encouraged to take individual college tours outside of school on their own.

“Students can take college tours outside of the ones offered at Ritenour by simply going on the school’s website,” Hibbler said, “There is usually a ‘Visit’ link or tab that allows you to set up an individual visit.”

While many colleges offer weekend visits, students can visit during the week and be excused from school for the day. Mead said that if students take trips on a school day they can be excused if they have a parent call ahead of time to excuse them and bring something back from the admissions office of the college that shows they were there for a visit.

By going on campus tours, students can get a feel for each school and decide if they would be comfortable on the campus, along with experiencing the different things each school has to offer.

“I got to find out extra information that I didn’t know from the website, go to ask questions, get connected with the admissions representatives, and sit in a classroom getting a good feel of a college class,” senior Tealjoy Berry said. “Plus I got free food.”

Hibbler believes that even if students are not thinking about attending college, exposure to a college campus can change a student’s thoughts, which will change their action.

“I’ve seen students who didn’t really believe they could go to college become excited about attending once they visit and seeing that students there look just like them,” Mead said.