Finals frenzy

How Ritenour students are preparing for final exams

Charles Daniels, Staff Writer

Final exams are quickly approaching, and for many students that means their first semester grades will be determined in the next few days.
There are ways to prepare for these big exams, such as studying and taking practice tests.

“I usually study the night before the finals,” junior Corey Jackson said.

Ritenour students have different ways of studying. Review guides are one way for students to start down the path of obtaining passing grades for final exams. Asking teachers for study guides or any important information covered throughout the semester can also help.

“I reread my materials and study the review guide,” junior Cameron Glenzer said.

Rereading is a crucial part of studying as it reminds the brain of materials and helps memorization. Tape recorders and a study partner can also really help the situation. Playing back information can organize the material and hearing it will remind students of the material when they take the test. Partners can also give vocal quizzes over the review materials.

One thing that has changed this year is the fact that the schedule switched. While the final schedule will still consist of block classes, students have not experienced extended class periods all year.

“This year it’s going to be a lot different because we don’t have block classes,” Jackson said.

While stress is a natural part of final exams, those students who do well can seriously improve their grades since the tests are worth 20% of overall grades in non-EOC courses. Students who took advantage of after school opportunities all semester have had extended chances to do well in their courses, and if finals do not go the way that students want them to go, they can consider taking advantage of these opportunities next semester.

Since these tests are so important to the semester, students often try to find ways to relieve their stress over the course of the week.

“I play ‘Grand Theft Auto’ to get the stress off,” Jackson answered.

People have different ways of pushing through finals. Getting plenty of rest and a good breakfast can benefit students on tests. Being energized in the morning can help activate memory and activity in the brain, which can help know the answers.

After finals are over, it will be necessary for many students to sit down and just relax.

“It will be great knowing that I am done, and I can just go home,” junior Michael Zorn said.