FCCLA steps up to the plate

Students in FCCLA share all the ways they help out and why they do it.

Chiyierrja Grant.

Juniors Onye’ Coleman, Diamond Herron, and Angelica Barnett prepare in class to pass out carnations by creating the name tags that show where each flower will go as part of the Valentine’s day festivitites. Each flower was delivered by hand.

Chiyierrja Grant, Staff Writer

Members of the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) club are being recognized for all of the hard work they have done throughout the 2013 school year.

FCCLA is a club that volunteers throughout the community and the school.

FCCLA has numerous recognition programs. A few are competitive events including a national contest, the Family and Consumer Sciences Knowledge Bowl and the STAR event. These events recognize the members and the advisers for their exceptional accomplishments.

The STAR event has a team or individual present what they have researched on different problems. The team or individual also creates an action plan for their problem, to try to find a solution. The problems can be anything from global, local, state or national issues.

This year the club took part in the STAR event. Family and Consumer Science Teachers Kelleen McFate and Janet Kneese are the club advisers who also work with the members of FCCLA when they were preparing for the STAR event. The event was held on January 29, 2014 in Dixon, Mo.

“This year was the first time that Ritenour had presented at the event. The STAR event stands for students taking action with recognition,” McFate said.

Sophomores Sara Goers and Travis Keith gave a five minute presentation about world food day. World hunger is a global issue, and world food day is an event that aims to end world hunger.

FCCLA is open for anyone to join, and the club meets on Thursdays at 7 a.m.

Current member’s favorite thing about the club is that they get to help people.

Senior Che’nell Grant has been a member of FCCLA for four years. Her favorite thing about the club is having fun while doing service around the school and the community, as well as meeting new people.

“It is a fun, energetic, hardworking, and positive club. I wanted to join because it looked like fun and I wanted to try something different,” Grant said.

Junior Onye’ Coleman has been with FCCLA for a month and she enjoys being able to help people.

“I joined it because I liked what they were about. For future students I would say why not because we get to help people,” Coleman said.

Donella Johnson has been with FCCLA since the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year. Her favorite thing about the club is doing projects to help the community.

“It is not something that is for a grade; I wanted to get more involved in the school. For future students I would say to get involved, be creative and help because in the end it will pay off,” Johnson said.