First Responders Come to Ritenour for Lunch

On September 11, Ritenour High School Hosted a First Responders luncheon.

Senior Lindsey Ryan stands with a police officer holding a banner.

Missy Griffith

On September 11, 2014 senior Lindsay Ryan, Assistant Principal Bilal Ewing, and the Ritenour leadership students hosted a first responders’ luncheon to honor and support the group for their service on the anniversary of a historic date in American history.

On September 11, 2001 the twin towers at the World Trade Center were destroyed after members of the Al Qaeda terrorist organization hijacked planes and flew them into the buildings. The crash killed almost 3,000 people.
While honoring the first responders into the crash site that day 13 years ago, this luncheon also honored local first responders; policemen, firemen, EMTS (Emergency Medical Technicians), and paramedics who have helped save many lives.

“I wanted to raise awareness about 9-11 and the people who lost their lives, especially the first responders who were there to try to help,” Ryan said.
Ryan, who has been a Junior Explorer Fire Fighter for many years, started discussing this idea with Ewing last school year. While community members are grateful for all of the help first responders provide, some students like Ryan, appreciate them for more personal reasons.
“My dad is a volunteer firefighter and EMT, so the first responders are very dear to me,” Ryan said.

First responders in the state of Missouri no longer have free lunch provided for them while on the job, so that’s how the idea came about to have a luncheon at Ritenour.

Ewing supported Ryan’s idea for the luncheon and helped her set it up and make it happen. The lunch was provided by the FACS and Culinary Arts seniors Arial Greer and Jerry Garza, and the event was hosted by juniors Marcus Jordan and Willie Rivers of KRHS, Ritenour’s radio station.

“We had just under 100 first responders join us for a pasta and salad lunch. During their visit they spent considerable time with our students, many of whom eagerly sought the FR’s out to learn about their professions. Students were able to take pictures with the FR’s, explore their vehicles, and pet their patrol dogs,” Ewing said.