Students Participate in International Day

Sara DeClue, Staff Writer

On March 6, 2015 students taking the foreign language classes participated in International Day.

During the day students from the foreign languages classes and most social studies classes were able to see posters created by those in foreign language class showing various famous people in other countries and cultures.

“I think anytime that kids can explore famous people from different cultures there is values in doing it. Kids need to see examples of leadership in the world around them,”Superintendent Dr. Chris Kilbride said. “As much as you can get outside of the Midwest-outside of Missouri and recognize the greatness cause great values for kids.”

Although this is the first year that the language classes had celebrated international day, many students wish that this will continue as a tradition throughout Ritenour High School.

“I think it is pretty interesting because you get to learn about different people in history. The fact that they are not just telling you, they are letting you experience it and find out new information,” senior Kristen Nipper said.

Students in the social studies department and foreign languages department were not only able to learn more about famous people and their culture, but they were also able to come together and make connections between their life styles and other cultures.

“Everybody has a story and that has value. Learning about great people that came before them, wherever they are, I think there is a direct connection where more people that can be engaged in conversation in leadership and diversity the better,” Dr. Kilbride said.