Veteran visits Ritenour high school

Edward Deuser visited Ritenour High School to talk about his experiences in the Navy in celebration of Veterans Day tomorrow

Sidney Lee

Edward Deuser visited his granddaughter’s class at Ritenour High School today.

Royalty Knight, Opinion Editor

Special education teacher Alyssa Deuser and her mother Collette Deuser assisted Edward Deuser, a 92-year-old World War II veteran tell his story to Ms. Deuser’s class. Mr. Deuser came to Ritenour the day before Veterans Day to tell stories of life in the Navy during his time in the service from 1942-1946.

He told stories such as what life was like on the water and how he was seasick for three weeks straight while on his way from New York to North Africa. Mr. Deuser said that he joined the Navy in order to avoid being drafted by the Army.

“I didn’t want to go to the Army because at least in the Navy I knew I would have a place to sleep on the ship,” Deuser said.  “In the Army I wouldn’t have anything, at least in the Navy I would have something to eat.”

He also told stories of how he met his wife at the age of 20, while she was 15. His wife told him that she wouldn’t move to St. Louis with him unless they got married, so he proposed. She said yes and they moved here to St. Louis, and their family has been here ever since. Everyone told them that they wouldn’t make it but they stayed married for 67 years until her death four years ago.

Students from Ms. Deuser’s class had prepared questions ahead of her grandfather coming in to speak to them.  There were also other teachers in the room, as well as Principal Shane Hopper, who is a military veteran himself.  One of the students asked what the most important thing he took from his time in the service was.

“The most important thing I will remember is serving my country because we are the only free country in the world,” Deuser said.