Ritenour military club

Grace Humphres, Staff reporter

Senior Amber Brinker, College Counselor Cabrina Noonan and Science teacher Rick Rodgers have decided to start a military program on campus, believing it is one step in ultimately offering a Junior ROTC (Reserve Officers’ Training Corps) program.

“We think it is important to include JROTC in our vision because we pride ourselves on being a school that helps students achieve their goals of either enrollment (higher education), employment, or enlistment (military) at the end of their high school career,” Noonan said. “So we want to ensure that we are giving students access to opportunities that will help them in understanding their options so they can make an informed decision when the time comes.”

The title for the military club is the STAR club. It stands for Students Taking Active Roles. This will introduce the different branches of military.

“While the STAR club will introduce its members to the different branches of the military, it will also give students a vehicle for taking on different leadership roles in the community through service and community involvement,” Noonan said.

The club offers topics on and assistance with study skills and test taking strategies, especially related to taking the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), conflict resolution, goal setting, color/honor guard, first aid, military history, land navigation/orienteering, and physical fitness.
“All of these topics are designed to benefit both student and Ritenour by improving student attendance, providing career exploration, and networking opportunities,” Rodgers said. “Participation in the club does not require a service obligation, nor is there recruitment for the armed forces or combat skills training.”

Brinker has wanted to be in the army since she was in 8th grade and she thinks this would be a great way to start out.
They currently meet on Tuesday’s in Rodgers’ room, and plan to meet four times a month. They are accepting anyone who would like to join!