Ritenour starts a bee club

Max Bee, Staff Reporter

In the spirit of bringing awareness to this crisis, a new club has formed at Ritenour to promote an interest in bees within the school and the community- the Bee Club.

Bees are an integral part of human life, particularly agricultural as they are the primary pollinators for many crops throughout the world.

Like bees, insects play a crucial role in the production of approximately 70-90 percent of fruits and vegetables.

But in recent years, bee populations have been declining.  Within the last decade, some regions have seen as much as a 90 percent decrease in bee population according to National Geographic. Much of this loss is attributed to what is known as “colony collapse disorder”.  These startling statistics have sparked a movement to save and protect bees.

Bee Club coordinator, David Appelbaum, says that Ritenour’s bee club is all about bees and bee culture.  The Bee Club not only studies bees, but actively cares for a hive on school grounds.

“The Bee Club gives students and teachers an opportunity to work together and learn about honeybee colonies, hive building, and honey production,” staff participant Jason Spurgeon said.

The club provides a unique opportunity to members as they work together to care for the hive, by building a connection with the campus colony and the other members.

“ I also feel this [club] is an amazing learning experience for students and staff alike to help perpetuate the honeybee populations in our world,” Spurgeon said.

Members are currently working on building and installing hives for the campus’ new occupants, who will reside on the roof above the pool.