Standing in the hall of fame

Ritenour adds three new faces to the wall

Courtesy of Ritenour School District

Hall of Fame inductees (l-r) Kevin McCauley, George Taylor, and Bill Wessler posing for a group photo.

Emily Waters, Editor in Chief

On Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:00 p.m., a crowd dressed in formal attire mingled in the lower lobby of the Ritenour High School auditorium.

They stood, waiting for Ritenour High School’s 17th annual Hall of Fame induction ceremony. As they passed the time, RHS chamber orchestra students performed from the balcony.

After dinner, attendees moved into the auditorium.

“Over the past 146 years, there have been tens of thousands of Ritenour graduates, yet only 76 of them have their photos on the wall of our beautiful auditorium lobby,” Superintendent Dr. Chris Kilbride said in his opening remarks. “Needless to say, our inductees tonight are in great company.”

This year’s inductees are Kevin M. McCauley, Ph.D., class of 1994, an industrial chemist for Bridgestone Tires ; George An- thony “Tony” Taylor, class of 1983, manager of the legal department at Sea World; and Bill Wessler, class of 1958, owner of the Localite Shop- per, who received a Lifetime Achiev- ment Award.

Before accepting their award, each inductee gave a brief speech, thanking not only those who nominated them, but also the people who helped them on their path to success.

“I can honestly say I probably had some of the best teachers and the best education in the Riten- our School District,” McCauley said.

Taylor shared his fond memories of the teachers, and the impact they had on him.

“I do not think we realize how we impact people’s lives,” Taylor said. “I could go on all day about the different teachers and
the different impacts they had on me- some positive, some not so positive. Ritenour School District, like most school districts, I suppose, is based on people. It is the people that shape the students.”

All of them agreed on one thing, though: an award from their high school meant more.

“This [award] means an awful lot to me. Never expected it,” Wessler said. “But I’m thrilled to have it.”

McCauley felt the nomination process made the award special, as well.

“The fact that some of my former teachers nominated me for this, it is actually really special to me.” McCauley said. “Especially since it has been like 20 years since I have in been high school.”

Gary Stein, president of Ritenour School Board, took a moment to congratulate all of the inductees as well.

“Dr. McCauley, Mr. Taylor, and Mr. Wessler, we congratulate you and welcome you into our hall of fame,” Stein said. “I know that you are proud to say you went to Ritenour High School. As a board, we are proud you are Ritenour graduates.”