Despite senior’s plea, spring sports remain cancelled

Jordan Fritzsche, A&E Co-editor

For students throughout the country, COVID-19 has meant the loss of ‘student experiences’. 

To seniors, this means loss of their final prom, senior picnic, moments with friends, their final high school season, and possibly the gradation walk for which they have waiting 13 years.  

For seniors and athletes alike, many memories to be made have been lost. 

“I feel bad for those seniors that lost out on their last high school season. I could not imagine what it would be like if it happened to me when I was in high school or college, Athletic Director Drew Lohnes said. “You just take things for granted and assume that something like this would never happen until it does.” 

Spring athletes have lost their entire season, and for seniors, it means that their high school careers have come to an end. Senior volleyball player Ethan Hahn has gone as far as to start a petition on change.org calling for spring sports to spill over into the summertime. The petition had surpassed 25,000 signatures, but despite all of these efforts, the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA) released an official statement following an order placed by Missouri governor Mike Parson calling for school closure for the rest of the school year. 

“This decision is very difficult for all involved especially given the impact it will have on our students, parents, coaches, teachers, and administrators throughout the state,” MSHSAA Executive Director Dr. Kerwin Urhahn said in the statement.  “We thank all of the participants, the coaches/directors/advisors, the administrations, the parents, and everyone else who has dedicated tremendous amounts of time, passion, and effort to these events.”