Public displays of distraction

Student PDA in hallways has gotten out of hand

Zaria Dukes, Staff Writer

I understand. Kisses and hugs are the universal symbol to illustrate the unconditional, or maybe conditional, love you bear for someone. In fact, affection plays a dynamic role in solidifying human relationships and is an indispensable tool of solace.

However, precautions need to be taken into account once students are around each other in a school setting. The idea of private moments in private places sounds a tad radical, but the outcome would tremendously increase everyone’s productivity.

When discussing degrees of affection, there are certain gestures that will not cause grief among others. A quick kiss, fine; an earnest hug, whatever makes your day; swinging your girlfriend in the the hallway like you’re practicing the waltz, aggravating.

I understand. My peers forget about the line they are crossing. These rules of degrees tend to dissipate after seeing their significant other. For them, it is a lapse in time, a romantic film filled with intense infatuation, excitement, and way too much tongue.

For us, the daily occurrence of groping and French kisses in front of our lockers makes life absurdly annoying. We are just trying to go through the cycles of finishing school work and daydreaming of finally sleeping at a decent time.
How would you feel if your teacher and their spouse were cuddling up against a classroom door? That is how we feel when you are blocking our destination, awkward and stunned with embarrassment.

I sincerely hope that will be a scene I will never witness in my life time. On the other hand, Ritenour High School does have written policies about public displays of affection.

Interestingly, the rules at Ritenour are worded in a very general manner. “Inappropriate contact” could result in anything from a conference to suspension. Also an “inappropriate display of affection” guarantees the same disciplinary actions.

Assistant Principal Dr. Katey Gray concluded that the interpretation depends on how disruptive the display is to the learning environment.

Another component is the role of the teacher. Teachers cannot pry apart two people who are kissing. This gets into legal territory, and the student could file a complaint. So teachers respond by giving a warning, or the parties can simply be written up for defiance. Yet, there have been newsworthy court cases where the consequence might be deemed harsh.

Megan Coulter, an eighth grader, was ordered to serve a two-week detention for hugging two friends, which Mascoutah Middle School policy does not condone, as it is considered a public display of affection.

I understand. The policy was enacted to minimize harassment problems and to teach the proper way to behave in the work place, but this is cruel and unusual punishment.

This is an extreme scenario, and does not reflect the disciplinary actions of Ritenour High School. However, there needs to be more communication about how to behave during passing time, or any time in our school for that matter.

If students were given a clear explanation about showing affection then the rest of us could go throughout our day without the distraction.