Every second counts

Seniors win the Powder Puff game with a late takeaway

Saydee Esparza, Staff Writer

Ritenour’s annual Powder Puff game was held Tuesday, April 29, this game was played to raise money for graduation for the 2013-2014 school years.

Powder Puff is a tradition that started decades ago. It began as a fundraiser and gave female students an opportunity to showcase their skills, and cover position responsibilities.

The game was played by; one junior and one senior team. It was flag football and overall the seniors took the lead and won the game with a score of 14-12.

Junior Jessica Poelker was one player on the junior team. She was not happy with how the game turned out.
“I was beyond mad because we lost, with all the teamwork we used it didn’t pay off, “ Poelker said.

Junior John Minner was the coach for the junior team; he as well was disappointed with the quality of the game as well.

“I was shocked that the seniors won, they came back so fast. We were in the lead at first but they came back 40 seconds before the game was done,” Minner said

The juniors were up 12-0 at first until the star athlete Senior Donshel Beck stole the ball.

Junior Skylar Rives witnessed it all and thought it was amazing even though it was her rival team.

“We had a lot of plays that we were doing and we were all fine until she stole the ball. I was amazed at how she did it so quickly,” Rives said.

Junior Hannah Baker was a rival of Donshel Beck, and she tried her hardest to beat the seniors but the game changed.

“I really thought we should have won the game. I felt defeated by Donshel, but she was determined to win and there was nothing stopping her, especially me,” Baker said.

Beck was the happiest player after she scored the winning tounchdown.

“I felt excited; it really built my confidence up. I thought we were going to lose the game at first but we did a lot of screaming and pumping each other up and in the end we pulled through. I was really excited to beat Hannah too she was real competition,” Beck said.

Senior Adewale Adeoye was coach for the senior team, he felt like being a coach to the seniors was a real good experience for him especially because they won.

“I always thought we would win from the start because I am a good coach and I have experience in this field. I taught them what to do, it was difficult at first so I started to think negatively, but I got hyped and finally we took the ball and won,” Adeoye said.