Third time’s the charm

Ritenour High School host the Greater Saint Louis Debate Tournament for the third consecutive year

Emily Waters

Junior Abby Gordon preforms her DI of the book, “The Book Thief”

Charles Daniels, Staff Writer

On January 17 and 18 the Greater St. Louis (GSL) Speech and Debate finals were held at Ritenour High School. (RHS) The event started at 4 pm on Friday and ended at 7 on Saturday. Schools from the St. Louis area participated in the GSL tournament.

The RHS debate team prepared the school for the tournament starting at 2 pm on Friday by setting up rooms, judging tables, guiding where the participant and spectators are going, and running the concession stand.

“We ran the schedule in such an organized way it is a lot more manageable,” Debate Coach Christina Andrade said.

This tournament went well because of perfect scheduling and abilities demonstrated by students in the various categories.

RHS only had one participant in the tournament, debate club secretary junior Abby Gordon who has competed the past two years.

“[I am] kind of surprised [and] definitely really excited. [It is] weird that I am the only one who signed up for it,” Gordon said.

Last year Gordon placed third in Prose and this year she placed third in Dramatic Interpretation (DI). Those competing in DI or any other interpretation got prepared by standing in front of a mirror to get into character or practicing their excerpts.

“I don’t think about it, [I] go over my pieces. If I think, I will stress myself out,” Gordon said.

Gordon has competed in other competitions over the past two years. Tournaments are held all year and they give the debate team more experience to get ready for the GSL. It also gives more motivation from the team and the captain to get them energized and prepared for the tournament, and to help them through the competition.

The debate team and Gordon had plenty of assistance for the tournament and had plenty of support from Ritenour.

“[What made the tournament succeed was] to be friendly and nice, and radio for help if they do not know a question,” Andrade said.