Community Leaders

Ritenour students give their time to help others

Senior+Lynda+Tolley+wears+her+Barnes-Jewish+outfit+for+her+internship+in+their+media+services+department+

Lynda Tolley

Senior Lynda Tolley wears her Barnes-Jewish outfit for her internship in their media services department

David Fitzgerald, Staff Writer

Some people perform tasks for their parents; in fact, everyone does.

But there are a certain few who choose to go above that and perform community service. Some students at Ritenour High School are doing just that; helping the community.

Some do this out of choice, but some do it for other reasons. There are some students who are performing these good deeds at RHS as part of their classwork.

The leadership students, led by Tavanda Palmer, are required to perform ten hours of community service per semester, which is not a lot for an individual student, but means a lot to the people who they help.

Members of the National Honor Society (NHS) also volunteer ten hours over the course of the year as a part of their club membership. According to their leader, Language Arts teacher Megan Jurs, the students attempt to take part in two additional service projects as a group. An example of these projects is the blood drive that they hosted last semester, and this semester there is a plan for a shoe drive.

Some students go above and beyond, and love what they do for the community. A prime example of this is senior Gorge Jara, who spends his free time volunteering in various positions.

“I volunteer not only for the service hours, but also just because I like to,” Jara said.

Although Jara is only required to volunteer for ten hours as a Leadership student, he volunteered 26 hours during last semester.

“Volunteering is fun for me, but I also just like staying busy,” Jara said.

Another senior who spends a lot of time volunteering is Lynda Tolley.

Tolley volunteered for a week at Camp Barnabas in Pundy, Mo. This camp hosts kids who are currently battling cancer and other serious aliments.

“I was a barnstormer and spent my time performing different tasks like cleaning the cabin bathrooms, serving meals, washing dishes and silverware, and bonding with the kids,” Tolley said.

During her sophomore year, Tolley performed an 87-hour internship at Barnes-Jewish Hospital’s media services department. While there, she edited a ten-year mailing list, made website videos for educators, made audition videos for the commercial auditions, and made videos for a kids program.

Throughout her high school career Tolley volunteered at several events in her community, and did so in order to enhance her leadership skills.

“Because being involved and serving the community is important when you’re a leader,” Tolley said.

Tolley has also worked at Hoech Middle School for about 20 hours. While there, Tolley performed the tasks of mailing, making videos, and organizing and labeling books at the Hoech library.

Tolley also participated in the Friends with Kids with Cancer Trivia Night for about five hours.

Even now, Tolley is a huge part of her community. Not only is she a part of Leadership but in her high school career Tolley has participated in 231 hours of community service.

“Volunteering in the community can only help, it is a positive thing to do,” Tolley said. “It is very rewarding at the end of the day to know that you have made a difference.”