Bringing in spring

The spring assembly heads of the end of the year

Missy Griffith.

The Rhythmettes and the Huskie G’s dance together at the 2014 Spring Assembly.

The 2014 Spring Assembly was held on April 17, hosted by Leadership students.

In this year’s spring assembly, Ritenour had many talented performances from the Varsity and JV Rhythmettes, the Huskie G’s, the Steppers, talent show winners, and even the administrators.

For the big surprise, Ritenour High School’s administrators performed a popular hip-hop dance known as the Nae Nae.

Principal Katey Gray was nervous about the performance before the assembly.

“I am super scared, I do not want to look like an idiot in front of 2,000 high schoolers,” Gray said.

Afterwards, she said she felt really silly, but the activity was exctiting. She said that she would do it again if asked.

The administrators spent time during class to learn the Nae Nae from current students, but they also used YouTube as a reference.

“Doing the Nae Nae was fun and embarrassing, it made me laugh and I really enjoyed it,” Assistant Principal Bilal Ewing said.

The 2014 talent show winners also performed their choreography. First place winner Alexis Maclin and second place winners Joshua Broadway and Robert Barnes both danced in front of the assembly.

“It was awesome I did not expect to win but also, I was honored to perform my dance in front of everybody at the spring assembly. I was not as nervous as before because the crowd cheered me on and made me feel comfortable,” Maclin said.

The second place winners of the 2014 talent show was equally surprised and were happy about the good things are happening to them.

“Cora, the varsity Rhythmettes captain saw me perform and she wanted me to dance with her and her team members. It was something, and I was pretty excited” sophomore Robert Barnes said.

Sophomore Brandie Jordan was impressed with the variety of the performances of the assembly.

“The varsity Rhythmettes did an outstanding job as usual, the Huskie G’s also did well. It was something new, I loved it,” Jordan said.

This year the Rhythmettes performed a duet with the Huskie G’s to a diverse mix of songs.

“I think we did good, the music was great to dance to, the coaches and my team members picked out the mix. Every time I step foot on the dance floor it makes me feel relieved and stress free.” varsity Rhythmettes captain Cora Jean-Baptiste said.

The Husky G’s were a group of male dancers who got together to perform with the Rhythmettes.

“Even though it’s not a real team, it was a fun experience for me and my brothers. The practices were always the best and we went out and showed out,” senior Dayzhion Mcgruder said.

At the end, Ruth Yarbrough, Ritenour’s Make A Wish Foundation child received her check to go to Disney World.