Dedication Nation

Seniors Deandre Morris and Daisia Baker demonstrated commitment to activities over the course of their high school careers

Courtesy of RHS Athletics

Senior Daisia Baker competes in a cross country event. Baker was a four-year letterwinner for the sport.

Emily Waters and Dornae Moore, Staff Writer

While many students are dedicated to their extracurricular activities, it takes serious commitment to remain involved throughout all four years of high school. Students who do so must not only maintain their academics, but also stay passionate when stress tests their dedication.

As this is our senior issue, it seemed appropriate to recognize two seniors that have not only remained committed, but also remained underappreciated. Of course, there is not enough room to recognize every exceptional student, so two were chosen to exemplify the dedication and skill the Ritenour student body possesses.

Senior Deandre Morris knows how to march to the beat of his own drum. As drum captain, Morris deals with the balancing act being involved in extracurricular activities can be.

“It puts a lot of responsibility on me, trying to take care of drumline, then doing all my school work, then keeping up with everything I need to do.” Morris said. “It has made [being a good student] more challenging, you know, being involved in advanced classes, having to do all the work during trips, and things like that.”

The benefits far outweigh the challenges, though, according to Morris.

“Drumline gets me out of the house, doing stuff, traveling.” Morris said. “Knowing that we played everything correctly puts a big smile on my face.”

Morris is not sure yet if he’ll be playing in college, but that doesn’t mean he is going to stop playing.

“I’m in an organization called Show Me Sound, which is a drum core organization.” Morris said. “I might go there often enough to keep playing the same things I do now, and get better at what I do.”

Senior Daisia Baker knows the true meaning of a strong finish.

Baker has been running cross country at Ritenour High School all of her high school career.

“I got introduced to it freshman year and enjoyed it ever since,” Baker said.

Baker also says that cross country was not her first choice in sports. “No, the sport I wanted to do was in another season, and I wanted to do something right then, so I chose cross country.”

One memory stands out for Baker as her cross country career has come to an end.

“Being at the awards banquet with the entire team one last time,” Baker said.

Baker also plans on continuing her passion in college as a way for her to relax.

“I love to run and it relieves me of stress,” Baker said. “It’s been a great experience; it’s a personal accomplishment to finish each and every race.”

Baker may not have gone to State or set any records, but her dedication has led to personal accomplishments.

“I ran for four years; I wasn’t the best, but I did try. It was definitely worth it.” Baker said.