Seniors overcome their struggles to succeed

As the senior class gets ready to graduate, some reflect on the obstacles that they have hurdled

Kaylee Houston, Staff Writer

As the senior gets ready to walk across the stage she hears her name being called. The crowd is cheering and screaming her name. She starts to feel very proud that she got through the different struggles of her high school career.

This hypothetical graduate was based on facts. There are many different obstacles that seniors face to get through senior year, including procrastination, changing support systems, stress, and rumors, amongst others.

One struggle that many seniors faced was procrastination. Senior Paulina Zavala had a hard time keeping up with work and getting it done on time.

“I definitely procrastinated a lot, I still have that problem today, but I learned to get better at fighting through it,” Zavala said.

Zavala has overcome this obstacle over time and now gets everything done on time and completed. Another challenge that seniors face is changing support systems. Senior Jonie Enloe had to deal with the fact that she was losing important people in her life.

“I have lost best friends and I have dealt with the stress of losing loved ones,” Enloe said.

In the past four years of her high school career, she has gained many friends and best friends to help her through her stressful times.

Stress is another barrier to student success. Senior Irving Moorehead has dealt with different types of stress as an athlete, a parent, and a student these past few years of high school.

“Getting my homework done on time and having a baby on top of that was very hard,” Moorehead said.

Moorehead had to make sure his baby had everything she needed so he could get homework done.

“I am an athlete and I had to make sure all of my sports stuff was done. I also had to get as many scholarships as I can so I could go to college,” Moorehead said.

Moorehead wants to become a successful college student.

“It was hard to figure out if I wanted to stay close to my daughter or bring her with me to school,” Moorehead said.

Moorehead had to deal with the stress of being a parent and trying to find a school close to his daughter.

A final issue that seniors had to deal with is rumors. Senior Brandon Evans has dealt with many different rumors in his life at Ritenour High School.

“When rumors get spread, your stories get twisted up and you hear people talking about a story that is not true,” Evans said.

Evans dealt with different types of rumors and learned how to handle them.

Seniors go through different struggles in high school and they eventually overcome them. The struggles they faced in high school give them more confidence to survive high school and become successful people after graduation.